Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) is an international centre of excellence in child healthcare.
Together with our research partner, the UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, we form the UK’s only academic Biomedical Research Centre specialising in paediatrics.
Since its formation in 1852, the hospital has been dedicated to children’s healthcare and to finding new and better ways to treat childhood illnesses.
What we do
Great Ormond Street Hospital receives 252,389 outpatient visits and 43,778 inpatient visits every year (figures from 2016/17). Most of the children we care for are referred from other hospitals throughout the UK and overseas. There are 63 different clinical specialties at GOSH; the UK's widest range of specialist health services for children on one site. More than half of our patients come from outside London and GOSH is the largest paediatric centre in the UK for:
- paediatric intensive care
- cardiac surgery - we are one of the largest heart transplant centres for children in the world
- neurosurgery - we carry out about 60 per cent of all UK operations for children with epilepsy
- paediatric cancer services including bone marrow transplants – with University College London Hospitals (UCLH), we are one of the largest centres in Europe for children with cancer
- nephrology and renal transplants
- children treated from overseas in our International and Private Patient (IPP) wing
Leading research and development
Through carrying out research with the Institute of Child Health, University of London and international partners, GOSH has developed a number of new clinical treatments and techniques that are used around the world.
The UK’s only academic Biomedical Research Centre (BRC) specialising in paediatrics is a collaboration between GOSH and UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health. We are a member of University College London (UCL) Partners, joining UCL with a number of other hospitals – an alliance for world-class research benefitting patients. In partnership with six other NHS trusts, we are the lead provider for North Thames Genomics Medicine Centre, part of the national 100,000 Genomes Project.Take a look at our Research and Innovation pages for more information.
Education and training for staff working in children's healthcare
GOSH offers a wide prospectus of learning to all staff groups. Together with London South Bank University, we train the largest number of paediatric nurses in the UK. We also play a leading role in training paediatric doctors and other health professionals.
Our mission and values
- We will achieve the best possible outcomes through providing the safest, most effective and efficient care
- We will attract and retain the right people and through creating a culture that enables us to learn and thrive
- We will improve children’s lives through research and innovation
- We will transform care and the way we provide it through harnessing technology
Our Always Values - ‘Always Values’ of being ‘always welcoming’, ‘always helpful’, ‘always expert’ and ‘always one team’ - are the guiding principles for everything we do and will assist us in delivering our ambition. They define what our patients, their families and our partners expect of us and what we should expect of each other. They were developed in collaboration with the families we care for.
Read about the history of GOSH and learn more about who we are.