The following people may apply for access to health records of living patients:
- The patient - Where the patient is a child (ie under the age of 16) he must, in the opinion of the records holder, be capable of understanding the nature of the application.
- A person with parental responsibility for a child who is a patient. Under current legislation, if parents have never married, only the mother automatically has parental responsibility.
- A third party appointed by a court to manage the affairs of the patient, where the patient is incapable of managing his own affairs.
- A third party appointed by and acting on behalf of the patient.
- A third party acting as the patient's personal representative where the patient is deceased, and/or any third party who may have a claim arising from the death, where the patient is deceased.