Paediatric interventional radiologists use a variety of minimally-invasive image-guided techniques to diagnose and treat many childhood illnesses. Although these types of procedures have been available to adult patients in the UK for decades, their adoption in children has been quite gradual.
Our programme at Great Ormond Street Hospital aims to bring the benefits of these minimally-invasive techniques to as many children as possible.
diagnosis of airway disease and intervention
central venous access
arterial disease in childhood
optical coherence tomography
balloon dilatation and stenting
Qualifications and training
BMedSc (Tasmania) 1981
MB BS (Tasmania) 1984
Dr Roebuck received his undergraduate training at the University of Tasmania and trained and worked as a radiologist in Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States and Hong Kong.
He was appointed to Great Ormond Street Hospital in 1999 to develop the Interventional Radiology service. He is currently one of four (soon to be five) full-time consultant interventional radiologists who work with three part-time consultant neurointerventional radiologists and a team of radiographers and nurses.
Dr Roebuck is treasurer of the Society for Pediatric Interventional Radiology and a council member (and former President) of the Section of Oncology of the Royal Society of Medicine. He is also a council member (and Radiology Chair) of the International Childhood Liver Tumour Strategy Group (SIOPEL).
Dr Roebuck’s main research interests are:
complex tracheobronchial disease
paediatric oncology and the diagnosis
treatment of vascular diseases of childhood
Dr Roebuck has written widely on paediatric interventional radiology, and has published over 130 peer-reviewed papers, as well as several book chapters. He has also given numerous lectures at national and international conferences.
He is an honorary senior lecturer at University College London.
- Elliott MJ, De Coppi P, Speggiorin S, Roebuck D, Butler CR, Samuel E, Crowley C, McLaren C, Fierens A, Vondrys D, Cochrane L, Jephson C, Janes S, Beaumont NJ, Cogan T, Bader A, Seifalian AM, Hsuan JJ, Lowdell MW, Birchall MA. Stem-cell-based, tissue engineered tracheal replacement in a child: a 2-year follow-up study. Lancet 2012; 380(9846): 994-1000.
- Tullus K, Brennan E, Hamilton G, Lord R, McLaren CA, Marks S, Roebuck DJ. Renovascular hypertension in childhood. Lancet 2008; 371: 1453-1463.
- Perilongo G, Maibach R, Shafford E, Brugières L, Brock P, Morland B, de Camargo B, Zsíros J, Roebuck D, Zimmermann A, Aronson D, Childs M, Widing E, Laithier V, Plaschkes J, Pritchard J, Scoparino M, MacKinlay G, Czauderna P. Cisplatin versus cisplatin plus doxorubicin for standard-risk hepatoblastoma New Engl J Med 2009; 361: 1662-1670.
- McHugh K, Afaq A, Broderick N, Gabra HO, Roebuck DJ, Elliott MJ. Tracheomegaly: a complication of fetal endoscopic tracheal occlusion in the treatment of congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Pediatr Radiol 2010; 40: 674-680.
- Zsíros J, Maibach R, Shafford E, Brugières L, Brock P, Czauderna P, Roebuck D, Childs M, Zimmermann A, Laithier V, Otte JB, de Carmargo B, MacKinlay G, Scopinaro M, Aronson D, Plaschkes J, Perilongo G. Successful treatment of childhood high-risk hepatoblastoma with dose-intensive multiagent chemotherapy and surgery: final results of the SIOPEL-3HR study. J Clin Oncol 2010; 20: 2584-2590.