Travel reimbursement

If you travel by public transport, you may be able to get help with your travel costs to and from hospital if you are receiving any of the following benefits.

Healthcare Travel Costs System

  • Income support or pension credit;
  • Income-based Job seeker’s allowance;
  • Income-based ESA;
  • If you are named on an NHS tax exemption certificate;
  • If you are on a low income and are named on certificate HC2 or HC3.

You must have proof of benefit to claim your fares. For further details of conditions and how to claim, go to the Transport Office at the hospital.

Congestion Charge

  • Use the official Transport for London (TfL) website to pay the charge online and find out whether you are eligible for the NHS reimbursement scheme
  • You may claim back the charge if the patient has a compromised immune system, requires regular therapy or assessment, or requires regular surgical intervention AND is clinically assessed as too weak or disabled to travel to the hospital on public transport.

Ultra-Low Emission Zone in central London

You may need to pay a fee to drive within the Ultra-Low Emission Zone in central London. You can find out more, including whether your vehicle meets ULEZ standards, on the TFL website.