Dr Biassoni is actively involved in teaching and training: he has been a member of the Paediatric Committee of the European Association of Nuclear Medicine for six years (2003-2009), chaired the Committee for three years (2006 – 2009) and has been a senior advisor to the Committee for two years (2017-2019).
Dr Biassoni carries out teaching and training tasks as a scientific expert for the International Atomic Energy Agency, and has been a member of the Administration of Radioactive Substances Advisory Committee, Ministry of Health, UK Government (2007-2015). He has been an invited speaker at many national and international conferences and courses. He is on the editorial board of the European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, a senior editor for BJR Case Reports (British Institute of Radiology) and a reviewer for several other scientific journals. He is the author of more than 50 peer-reviewed scientific papers and of 13 chapters of textbooks.
Medical Degree, University of Rome “La Sapienza” (1986)
Residence in Oncology and General Medicine, National Cancer Institute and University of Genova (1987 – 89)
Specialist accreditation in Nuclear Medicine, University of Genova (1989 - 93),
MSc (Nucl Med), University of London, (1993 -95)
Fellowship of the European Board of Nuclear Medicine, FEBNM, (1997)
Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (2008)
He subsequently moved to London, where he undertook the Master of Sciences Degree in Nuclear Medicine at the University of London, while being attached to the St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical College.
He worked in Nuclear Medicine training and research positions in London at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals, St George’s Hospital and St Bartholomew’s Hospital.
He was first appointed as a nuclear medicine consultant to Barking, Havering and Redbridge NHS Trust in 1999. After three years of general nuclear medicine experience as a single-handed consultant, he was appointed as a nuclear medicine consultant to Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children and Barts and the London NHS Trust in 2002.
Dr Biassoni’s research interests include neuroblastoma (with special focus on correlation between MIBG uptake, MRI DWI, and histopathology), paediatric SPECT/CT and assessment of GI tract motility with radionuclides.
- Yeats JC, Rahbek O, Griffith N, Easty M, Biassoni L, Eastwood DM. Bone scan with SPECT/CT in children with complex foot and ankle pain: initial experience of a paediatric tertiary referral centre. J Child Orthop. 2020 Oct 1;14(5):433-439. doi: 10.1302/1863-2548.14.200062.
- Gains JE, Aldridge MD, Mattoli MV, Bomanji JB, Biassoni L, Shankar A, Gaze MN.: 68Ga-DOTATATE and 123I-mIBG as imaging biomarkers of disease localization in metastatic neuroblastoma: implications for molecular radiotherapy. Nucl Med Commun. 2020 Nov;41(11):1169-1177.
- Lalayiannis AD, Crabtree NJ, Fewtrell M, Biassoni L, Milford DV, Ferro CJ, Shroff R. Assessing bone mineralization in children with chronic kidney disease: what clinical and research tools are available? Pediatr Nephrol 2020; 35(6): 937-957.
- Thurlow B, Morris E, Price L, Melhuish T, Michopoulou S, King S, Easty M, Biassoni L. A comparison of thyroid blockade strategies in paediatric 123I-meta-iodobenzylguanidine scanning: a dual centre study. Nucl Med Comm 2020; 41 (5): 436-442.
- Israel O, Pellet O, Biassoni L, De Palma D, Estrada-Lobato E, Gnanasegaran G, Kuwert T, la Fougère C, Mariani G, Massalha S, Paez D, Giammarile F. Two decades of SPECT/CT: the coming of age of a technology: An updated review of literature evidence. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2019 Sep; 46 (10): 1990-2012.
- Bar-Sever Z, Biassoni L, Shulkin B, Kong G, Hofman MS, Lopci E, Manea I, Koziorowski J, Castellani R, Boubaker A, Lambert B, Pfluger T, Nadel H, Sharp S, Giammarile F. Guidelines on nuclear medicine imaging in neuroblastoma. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2018 Oct; 45(11): 2009-2024.
- Biassoni L, Easty M. Paediatric nuclear medicine imaging. Br Med Bull. 2017 Sep 1;123(1):127-148.
- Mendichovszky I, Troncoso-Solar B, Smeulders N, Easty M, Biassoni L. Paediatric nuclear medicine: an overview. Semin Nucl Med. 2017 May;47(3):204-228.
- Pichler J, Biassoni L, Easty M, Irastorza I, Hill S. Reduced risk of pulmonary embolism in children treated with long term parenteral nutrition. Clin Nutr 2016, 35(6): 1406-1413.
- Tucker D, Woods G, Langham S, Biassoni L, Krywawych S, Hindmarsh P, Peters C. The incidence and clinical features of dual thyroid ectopia in congenital hypothyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; May 101(5): 2063-8.
- Biassoni L. Pitfalls and limitations of radionuclide renal imaging in paediatrics. Sem Nucl Med 2015; Sep;45(5):411-27.
E-mail address: Lorenzo.Biassoni@gosh.nhs.uk
Tel.: ++44 20 7405 9200 ext 5269 (secretary).