Useful Employment Information

Prior to commencing work within the NHS, all International Medical Graduates must ensure that they have considered their immigration status and whether or not they are allowed to live and work within the UK as well as undergo a background check. Information describing these processes can be found here.

VISA application and Immigration

Immigration rules are complex and it is important to get the most up to date information. The best place is the UK Government Website.

You may need to pay a surcharge (called the ‘immigration health surcharge’ or IHS) as part of your immigration application.

National Insurance Number

You must apply for a national insurance number (NI) to work in the UK. There are some instances when people can start work before their NI number arrives. See the UK government website for more details.

DBS Checks/Overseas Criminality Information

From April 2017, Tier 2 visa applicants and their adult dependant(s) will be required to provide a criminal record certificate from each country they have lived in consecutively for 12 months or more in the past ten years.

For candidates wishing to obtain overseas criminality information/Certificates of Good Standing, please see below:

DBS Check - Documents acceptable (0 bytes)

Information for Overseas Candidates (0 bytes)

Other useful resources about life in the UK

The UK government website is an easy to use site which has information on all government services.

Take a look at the British Council website ( This is the UK’s international organisation for culture relations and educational opportunities.