About the NIHR GOSH Clinical Research Facility
The National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Clinical Research Facility (CRF) at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) is a dedicated children’s facility.
You can find us at Level one of the Frontage building at (GOSH).
It provides a welcoming, safe and appropriate environment for children, young people and their families taking part in research studies/clinical trials.
The Clinical Research Facility (CRF) operates between the hours of 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. However there is some flexibility regarding hours of operation. Overnight stays are accommodated within existing GOSH facilities.
Our CRF provides a comprehensive, accessible and efficient service, supporting researchers in all aspects of study conduct including:
- Help with obtaining informed consent
- Co-ordination of appointments
- Data collection and entry
- Appropriate handling of research samples
- Recording and reporting of adverse events
- Dealing with data queries
The facility has been built to a high specification and includes:
- Outside play area: Woodland themed. Five woodland animal sculptures. Play safe rubber flooring.
- Inside play area: Computerised interactive wall and age appropriate toys and research/ education materials. Resident Play Specialist.
- Reception area: Seating for up to 15 children/young people/families. Vending machine, lockers and video games.
- Meeting room: Seats 15 to 20 people. High specification room fully equipped with computer and data projection and teleconference facilities.
- Clinical rooms: Eight flexible use individual clinical rooms, named after British trees. All rooms are equipped to a high dependency standard. Electronic chair/recliner or bed/cot, available dependant on age/visit type. Networked computer terminals are available in all clinical rooms. One room has an en-suite toilet and washbasin. All rooms have built in entertainment facilities (flat screen TVs and DVD players) for the children.
- Baby changing and shower facilities Disabled shower and baby change facilities and two individual toilets. The third toilet is attached to clinical room seven and can be used as an en-suite facility or stand alone toilet, depending on need.
- Specimen preparation laboratory: Centrifuge, sample preparation and refrigeration facilities. –20°C and –80°C freezer storage. Analysis of samples and more complex tests are conducted in the main GOSH laboratories. Specialist investigations, for example MRI/ECG, are accommodated within existing Trust resources.