- carbohydrate, such as bread, rice, pasta with a protein source, such as meat, fish, chicken or vegetarian alternative;
- some salad and a piece of fruit;
- a bit of dairy, such as yoghurt, milk drink or cheese and a scrummy snack like dried fruit or vegetable sticks;
- a drink (avoid fizzy rubbish) – go for thirst-quenching chilled water, semi-skimmed milk, sugar-free cordial or fruit juice.
Packed lunch ideas
- Super sarnies are always made with brown or wholemeal bread.
- Try to go without margarine or mayonnaise, or just spread a little on thinly.
- Good fillings are chicken, turkey or ham slices.
- Tinned fish like tuna or sardines gives you all the good oils.
- If having cheese choose Edam, feta, or low-fat cream cheese.
- Always add lots of crispy salad, this will help with your 5-a-day!
- Peanut butter is great but you don’t need butter or margarine as well.
Or, for a change
- Grab granary rolls, pittas, rye bread, tortilla wraps or bagels.
- Create cous cous, rice or pasta salad.
- Make traffic light kebabs with cheese, cooked meat and peppers on wooden skewers.
- On a cold day try a flask of tasty, warming soup.
Smart school dinnersIf you’re having a school dinner, try and choose the healthier items. Here’s what to pick and what to leave on the hot plate.
|Jacket potatoes with baked beans or cottage cheese||Roast potatoes|
|Pasta with tomato sauce||Pasta with creamy sauces|
|Hot pots, stews and casseroles||Chips|
|Baked, grilled or steamed fish||Fish in batter or breadcrumbs|
|Vegetable bakes||Fried chicken or chicken nuggets|
|Tuna, chicken or ham salad||Pizza|
|Vegetable curry with boiled rice||Sausage rolls|