In partnership with London Southbank University, Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) offers placements to pre-registration children’s nursing students in a variety of high quality clinical settings.
There is a committed team of Nurse Mentors across the wards to ensure that pre-registration nurses are supported whilst in practice. At GOSH we also have a dedicated Student Practice Facilitator team to provide additional support to pre-registration students.
- To support and develop nursing students to be able to give excellent patient care.
- To act as a resource for nursing students during their training - promoting and facilitating evidence based practice.
- To bridge the gap between theory and practice.
- To work clinically in a supervisory or facilitative role with nursing students in response to their identified learning needs and ensure clinical competence.
- To support mentors and supervisors in fulfilling their role with students.
- To provide personal support for students.
Enhanced teaching programme
Students are able to participate in scenario based learning using interactive teaching tools.
These simulation sessions provide students with an opportunity to reflect on learning gained during the scenario and the implications for their future practice.
The student practice facilitator team also run a weekly student forum. This provides the opportunity for students of all cohorts to reflect on their practice and gain peer support from one another.
Apply to train as a children's nurse at London South Bank University through UCAS.
Please email Ben Low – Practice Educator for pre-registration (Benjamin.Low@gosh.nhs.uk) nursing if you have any questions.
We're delighted to give students on UK undergraduate nursing programmes the opportunity to undertake an elective placement with us.
These elective placements are offered throughout the year for a one to four week period. Places are limited and availability depends on the demand from our partner universities, as our hosted students take priority.
Type of learning opportunities
Great Ormond Street Hospital can offer placements to paediatric nursing students in specialties including cardio-respiratory, infection, cancer and immunity, neurosciences, surgery, critical care, international private patients, medicine and diagnostic medicine.
Information about applications
Please complete an elective application form. Successful applicants will be made a provisional offer that will be subject to:
• occupational health clearance
• CRB disclosure
How do I apply?
For nursing electives, please email Benjamin.Low@gosh.nhs.uk for an application form.
Please note completing the form does not guarantee you a placement.