Nursing in our Cardio-respiratory Unit
The Cardio-respiratory Unit at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) is the major referral centre for children with complex heart and lung conditions in the UK.
The centre is:
- one of the largest tertiary paediatric cardiac centres in Europe
- one of the largest paediatric cardiothoracic transplant centres in the world
- provider of an innovative 'Bridge to Transplant' program utilising mechanical assist devices
- one of the largest paediatric ECMO programmes in the world
- the only dedicated tracheal service in Europe
- the designated UK paediatric pulmonary hypertension service
We are one of the largest teams in the hospital. However, demand for our services and our planned service growth means that we are looking to recruit more nursing staff to join us.
The new Heart and Lung centre
A strategic priority for the hospital is the creation of a new Heart and Lung Centre for children within the Morgan Stanley Clinical Building (MSCB). The Morgan Stanley Clinical Building is the first of two new buildings that will form the Mittal Children's Medical Centre.
The new centre includes:
- a Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (Flamingo Ward) for seriously ill cardiac patients
- a general cardiac ward (Bear Ward)
- cardiac daycare facilities for children who are coming into the hospital for same day heart procedures (Walrus Ward)
- world class operating theatres
- cardiac MRI and angiography/cardiac catheterisation facilities.
The Heart and Lung centre's telemedicine facilities, available in all theatres and the angiography rooms, will enable us to communicate these breakthroughs so that many more children worldwide can benefit.
We offer unrivalled opportunities for staff training and development from our excellent in-house team and through our close links with a range of education providers.
There are good provisions for study leave and funding to pursue work-related courses. Each year, we also award bursaries for staff to see best practice firsthand in healthcare organisations abroad.
If you are interested in applying for a position in the cardio-respiratory team or if you have any questions, please email email@example.com.