Rhino is located on the ground floor of the main GOSH site.
Specialities holding clinics in Rhino include ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat), Ophthalmology, Audiology, and General Surgery.
Rhino has 15 clinic rooms. Some children and young people come to Rhino for assessment and diagnosis and may have multiple appointments on the same day.
Who you will meet
On arrival at Rhino Outpatients, you will be welcomed by our reception team.
Rhino is run by our experienced clinic staff, comprising of Clinic Assistants, Health Care Assistants, Phlebotomists, Staff Nurses, Senior Staff Nurses, a Learning Disability Nurse and a Sister. Clinicians running the specialty clinics may include Consultants, Fellows, Registrars, Nurses, Clinical Nurse Specialists and Physiotherapists.
If you have any queries regarding your appointment please call 020 7829 8880. The following members of staff will be available on the below extension numbers to help you during your visit:
- Jessica Wheeler (Sister): ext. 1754
- Anne Nicholls (Assistant Service Manager): ext. 1598
- Chantelle Clavier (Matron): ext. 1768
- Elena Gelsthorpe-Hill (Service Manager): ext. 8423 or 07718 130653
Conditions we treat
Clinics held in Rhino include those for the diagnosis, management and treatment of:
- Loss or impaired vision
- ENT procedures leading to Grommet insertion
- Voice clinic with ENT/speech and language staff
- Hearing loss, including assessment for hearing aids/cochlear implants
- Craniofacial conditions
- Eye problems associated with albinism.
Outpatients is open Monday to Friday, 10 hours per day, 5 days per week. Visitors are welcome from 08.30 until 18.30. We do our best to protect the privacy and dignity of our patients at all times.
Here is some information to help you during your appointment:
- All patients are entitled to have a chaperone present for any consultation, examination or procedure. If you would like one please inform your doctor or nurse who will be happy to arrange this.
- Young people may request to see their medical team without supervision. Please inform a nurse or receptionist if you would like this to be arranged.
- If your child has a learning disability and needs reasonable adjustments during their clinic appointment, please let one of the clinic staff or receptionists know.
- We have an Ophthalmology Liaison Officer available to provide support and advice for families. Paula Thomas is available on ext. 0345.
- A dedicated dispensing optician is open Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm. No appointment is needed for bespoke fitting, glasses, sunglasses, goggles and lenses. Jessica Gowing is available on ext. 0631.
- We also have a procedure room where nasal endoscope examinations are completed and ear suctioning/de-waxing for ENT/audiology hearing appointments is carried out using microscope equipment. The voice clinic is also held in the room.
- Due to potential allergic reactions, latex balloons are not allowed in Outpatients.
- If you have a hot drink please ensure you request a lid to prevent spillages.
- Please take care of your children to prevent any slips, trips or falls.
If you and/or your child have had recent contact with chickenpox or measles, or has chickenpox, measles, shingles, diarrhoea and vomiting, then please telephone your GP or Practice Nurse who will tell you whether to keep your appointment. We may need to reschedule your appointment to a different time.
Siblings and young family members are welcome in Outpatients. They must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Baby changing facilities and toilet facilities.
- Water fountains.
- Play area with toys and games.
- Interview rooms, which provide a quiet waiting space or space for confidential conversations.
- The Lagoon restaurant (on the main Great Ormond Street Hospital site) where you can have a drink and/or meal and browse the hospital shop. There is a designated Disney Reef play space for children to have food or watch a film.
- Patient Advice and Liaison Service (on the main Great Ormond Street Hospital site)
- Chapel and prayer rooms, located on the main Great Ormond Street Hospital site.