Refer a patient to the Endocrinology department
Outpatient referrals from outside GOSH
All outpatient referrals should be sent to our administrative team via EndocrinologyAdmin@gosh.nhs.uk. We only accept NHS referrals from outside GOSH for children and young people who meet the following criteria:
- Age <16 years (however we may suggest that patients 13+ years of age be referred to the adolescent endocrinology service at University College London Hospital)
- Secondary care referrals must be accompanied by a letter from their named local NHS consultant paediatrician who will continue to manage the child or young person on a shared care basis. We will ask that the patient is not discharged from the care of this doctor.
- GP referrals will only be accepted if it is a request for:
- A second opinion for a child under the care of another paediatric endocrinology team. We require an accompanying letter from a tertiary paediatric endocrinology team for this second opinion.
- An opinion on a sibling of a child already under our care, where there is suspicion of them having the same condition.
- All other GP referrals should be directed in the first instance to the local paediatric team. If this is within the WC1 area the nearest hospital with general paediatric services is University College London Hospital (UCLH).
- The child or young person must be entitled to free NHS care based on current government guidelines.
To improve the patient experience, on occasion we will ask for certain information and investigations to be initiated prior to accepting the referral (e.g. short stature or failure to thrive screen, at least two height measurements and parental heights).
We will NOT accept referrals for the following:
- Patients ≥16 years of age
- Autoimmune hypothyroidism
- Familial short stature
- Diabetes mellitus - patients with childhood diabetes mellitus should be referred to UCLH in the first instance.
- Nutritional vitamin D deficiency
- Childhood obesity with an absence of a hormonal cause and onset >5 years of age - children and young people aged 2-18 years with common childhood obesity living in Camden and Islington can be referred to the UCLH integrated obesity service (all referrals for obesity should be referred simultaneously to the local dietetic and lifestyle intervention services).
Outpatient referrals from within GOSH
All outpatient referrals from within GOSH will be triaged on a case-by-case basis. An outpatient referral order should be requested on Epic. Please note that the exclusion criteria above still applies.
All inpatient referrals should be discussed with the Paediatric Endocrinology Registrar covering Internal Consults who is contactable via the GOSH Switchboard (0207 405 9200). An inpatient referral order should be concurrently requested on Epic.
Interhospital transfers & advice
Calls for advice from outside GOSH and requests for interhospital transfers are taken by the Paediatric Endocrinology Registrar covering External Consults between 11 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday who is contactable via the GOSH Switchboard (0207 405 9200). Prior to 11 am only urgent, consultant-to-consultant calls will be taken.
Outside of normal working hours all calls from outside GOSH are taken by the on-call registrar.