Who you'll meet

You might have a number of different people involved in your care on the Mildred Creak unit (MCU) at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH).

Child and adolescent psychiatrists

Every young person has a specific doctor whose job it is to look after your care and see you regularly. You can talk to your doctor about any issues or problems you’re having on the Unit. He or she will also assess your mental and physical health and supervise any medication you might need to take.

Ward manager

The ward manager is in charge of managing the Unit. The ward manager will make sure the other staff on the Unit are communicating well with your parents about your care, and that your stay is as safe, friendly and welcoming as possible.

Nursing team

You’ll have two keyworkers from the nursing team who’ll work with you and your family to help manage any difficulties you might face on the MCU and at home. You can talk to them if you have any questions or comments about your care.

Family therapists

Every young person is offered regular family meetings with a family therapist. This is where you and your family sit down and talk together about what’s going on, what support you need and perhaps how better you might understand each other.

Clinical psychologist

A clinical psychologist is a mental health professional who’s trained in helping people to understand and manage emotional, behavioural and mental health problems.

Child and adolescent psychotherapists

Your child and adolescent psychotherapist will co-ordinate and supervise your individual (indie) work on the MCU. You can bring anything to indie work. It’s a chance to talk about your worries and difficult thoughts and, unless they have to, they won’t repeat these to other people.

Social worker

A social worker can support you and your family with things like financial issues and your rights as a young person while you’re staying on the Unit.


If you have difficulty physically doing stuff, a physiotherapist will work with you to help your body move better and try to get you back to normality.


If you’re experiencing difficulties with feeding and nutrition, the dietitian can help you get the vital nutrients you need to grow and develop during your stay.