Make a complaint

Any complaints have to be dealt with in a formal manner. We have to follow strict processes set out by various bodies, such as the Department of Health and the Care Quality Commission.

If you want to make a complaint, please contact the Complaints team, by email, telephone or letter, using the details below, giving us as much information as possible.


Telephone: 020 7813 8402

When we receive a complaint it will be read by the Complaints team, who will send you a letter within three working days to confirm that we have received the complaint and are investigating what happened.

How investigations are carried out varies depending on the type of complaint. But usually a team of people will be brought together to look into what happened, work out why it happened and what action can be taken to stop it happening again.

Once the investigation has been completed, the Chief Executive of Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) will send you a letter explaining the results of the investigation, what actions will be taken as a result and an apology if we have failed in any way. If the investigation is likely to take longer, we will write to let you know that our response will be delayed.

When we have investigated your complaint, if you would like to discuss it further we can try to arrange a meeting with the relevant people.

Other organisations you can contact with a concern or complaint

There are other organisations outside of GOSH who you can contact with any concerns or complaints.

  • The NHS Complaints Advocacy Service is a free and independent service that can help you make a complaint about the National Health Service (NHS). For details of your local office please call their helpline on 0300 330 5454 or visit NHS Complaints Advocacy

  • The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the independent regulator for all health and social care services in the UK. Their job is to make sure that the care given in hospitals and other health or social care services meets government standards for quality and safety. You can raise a concern through their website by searching for the organisation and completing an online form, or by calling their Customer Service Centre on 03000 616161.

  • The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman considers complaints that the NHS or other public organisations have not acted properly or fairly. The Ombudsman carries out independent investigations into complaints that have already been investigated by hospitals and other local NHS organisations. You can telephone their helpline on 0345 015 4033 or visit their website for further information.