A detailed assessment will be carried out to identify any problems.
- Prior to the appointment we will send you questionnaires to complete before we meet with you, one of these will be to do online
- A detailed interview with the family lead by psychiatrists, psychologists and other members of the team
- Working together with other mental health teams within the hospital and specialist community based teams
Treatments will be tailored to the individual needs of the child and family and in general will be:
- targeted to the most important areas of difficulty, for example anxiety, depression and disruptive behaviour disorders
- evidence-based, which means they have been tested and shown to work
- as short and intensive as possible to achieve maximum effect
- linked closely with other teams in the hospital or community who are also involved in looking after the child and family
Depending on specific needs identified in the assessment, treatments may include a range of therapeutic approaches and medication if appropriate.
Interventions may include:
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), usually closely involving parents
- psychological treatments for tics, including habit reversal therapy
- behaviour management strategies for parenting
- medication if needed
- Cognitive Assessments – an assessment of learning strengths and weaknesses
- a range of specialist group interventions
We coordinate an Intervention Service which can deliver the above treatments to any child attending any team in our department or the wider hospital.