A hospital teacher teaches children and young people on the wards, and in the hospital school.
Most hospital teachers have worked in ordinary schools. Hospital teachers help patients carry on with their education.
A hospital teacher will:
- Keep in touch with the patient's school. With the child's say-so they let the school know what's happening.
- Have work from school sent home or to the hospital.
- Help with schoolwork while the patient is in hospital. This is most likely to be work from school. But there is also plenty of other work in the hospital anyway!
- Help to set up home tuition.
- Sort out extra time for a patient in exams.