It's really important that you feel confident and ready to transition from Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) to adult health services. Preparing some questions for your doctor is a great way to do this.
We asked some other young people what they would like to know about transitioning to adult health services to help prompt you.
- Are there any questions I should ask of my new doctors and nurses?
- Who can I call for help in a medical emergency out of hours?
- What are my nutritional needs and who do I need to share them with?
- What if I don't get along with my new doctor in adult health services?
- Can you help me understand my medical card before I leave GOSH?
- Can we keep in contact once I have transferred to adult services?
- How will my condition affect me in the future? This might refer to fertility and the genetic implications of your condition, driving regulations or insurance issues.
- What are the main differences between doctors specialising in children and those specialising in adults?
- Who can I talk to if I'm unhappy with my new doctor?
- How long does the transition process take?
- When will I move to my new hospital?