Eagle Ward is on Level 7 of the Morgan Stanley Clinical Building (MSCB), part of the Mittal Children’s Medical Centre at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH).
Level 7, Morgan Stanley Clinical Building
Great Ormond Street Hospital
Great Ormond Street
WC1N 3JH Map
Eagle Ward telephone number: 020 7829 8815
For urgent enquiries outside of office hours please call the switchboard on +44 (0)20 7405 9200 and ask for the on-call Renal Registrar.
About the ward
Find out more about Eagle Ward by watching our short video below.
If the video is not showing, please watch it on YouTube. A video transcript is also available.
Eagle Ward has:
- 13 inpatient beds (including a four-bed high dependency bay)
- two isolation rooms (one with a lobby to care for immune-compromised patients)
- 10 haemodialysis beds (one six-bed bay and four cubicles)
- a larger bathroom, which for the first time is fully assisted, with a height-adjustable bath that is accessible on three sides and has a ceiling track hoist
- a quiet room which can be used by ward psychologists and clinical teams
- a breast pump room to provide a dedicated space for mothers to feed siblings or to express milk
You can learn more about our clinical specialties by visiting:
Staff on the ward
Eagle Ward is staffed by renal consultants, specialist registrars and specialist renal nurses skilled in haemodialysis and plasma exchange therapies. The nursing team also includes a nurse consultant who works with children with long-term conditions and their families, and clinical nurse specialists for dialysis and transplantation.
Dieticians can advise on all aspects of your child's diet. There is also a psychosocial team including a ward counsellor, psychologist, family therapist, social worker and schoolteacher to support you and your family, plus a ward play specialist.
As children on dialysis are such regular visitors, school teachers come onto the ward and spend at least an hour with each child during their four-hour dialysis session.
The following members of staff will be available to help you during your stay on the ward:
- Mark Goninon, Head of Nursing
- Lucy Thomas, Ward Sister
- Joanna Van Ree, Acting Ward Sister
Conditions we treat
The special areas of expertise include:
- kidney failure
- kidney dialysis including haemodialysis
- kidney transplant
- plasma exchange
- other medical conditions such as lupus
Facilities for parents
Each single bedroom has space for one parent to stay – a sofa bed is provided.
Eagle Ward has a sitting room where you can go to relax and take time out from the ward and make hot drinks and snacks – it also contains a fridge and microwave. Families can bring their own food to store here, however, in accordance with hospital policy we ask that all food is labelled with the patient's name and the date.
There is also a quiet room where you can talk confidentially with a member of staff.
Facilities for children
The ward has two playrooms - one for younger children and one for older children and teenagers. Both areas are spacious and have room for toys, games and crafts.
The playrooms are supervised by our play specialists during office hours but you will be responsible for your child at other times.
Visiting times are from 12pm-8pm. Parents or carers can of course visit at any time, however only one parent can stay on the ward overnight.
Accommodation can be provided for the second parent from family services.
Regulations on the ward
The following are not allowed on Eagle Ward:
• Flowers – water in the vase can develop a bacterium that can cause infection in children.
• Latex Balloons – due to potential allergic reactions.
If any of your visitors have been in contact with coughs, colds, tummy bugs, or infectious diseases like chicken pox or measles, we would prefer them to wait until they are better before visiting. No child will be allowed in to the ward if they have chicken pox.
Eagle Ward is also known as the British Kidney Patient Association (BKPA) Children’s Kidney Centre. Our thanks to BKPA and everyone else who generously funded this ward.