[Skip to content]


Trust comment on Jayden Wray and family

20 April 2012
hospital entrance

 A Trust spokesman said:

"This has been a very long, distressing and difficult time for the family, which we very much regret.

"Our priority when Jayden arrived in the hospital was to try to save his life. Sadly we were unable to do this. 

"This is a very long judgement looking at a very unusual case, where the medical evidence is complex and contested.  It is clear to us from the judgement that this was an atypical case where abnormalities were much less visible on the radiology, than were shown by the post mortem. 

"The Trust did not keep Jayden’s parents from his bedside. Clinical staff and management, up to the Chief Executive, wanted them to be allowed to attend on compassionate grounds, as is our usual practice, and to be party to discussions about his care. However, the Trust had to obey the bail conditions that were set although we asked that these be changed.

"The decision to prosecute Jayden’s parents was taken by the Crown Prosecution Service after rickets had been diagnosed at post mortem. It is therefore fair to say that GOSH’s radiological opinion was not the determining factor in that decision. Neither would a diagnosis of rickets at GOSH have altered the sad clinical outcome.

"It is not for the Trust to decide legal issues of criminal responsibility. We never took any position on whether any specific person caused these injuries."


Responding to media coverage we would like to point out that the Trust neither sought anonymity for its staff nor sought to prevent the publication of the family court judgement.

We are unclear as to whether the allegation about a ‘four hour delay in treatment whilst scans were taken’ relates to ourselves or the other hospital.  If it relates to us we absolutely dispute it, based on medical records.

At all times our priority was to do everything we could to save Jayden’s life.

Jayden had a chest x-ray late in the evening on admission to GOSH on the 22nd July (to check that his ET tube was in the right place) and one set of x-rays on the 23rd July (a full skeletal survey which identified his multiple fractures).  All of these x-rays were done with mobile equipment on the intensive care unit and there was no interruption or delay to his treatment.

The issue about whether C02 levels were correctly monitored or not, was not at Great Ormond Street, as is clear from the court proceedings.



Contact information

For further information please contact the GOSH-ICH Press Office on 020 7239 3125.

For genuine and urgent out-of-hours queries call switchboard on 020 7405 9200.

Notes to editors

Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust is the country’s leading centre for treating sick children, with the widest range of specialists under one roof.

With the UCL Institute of Child Health, we are the largest centre for paediatric research outside the US and play a key role in training children’s health specialists for the future.

Our charity needs to raise £50 million every year to help rebuild and refurbish Great Ormond Street Hospital, buy vital equipment and fund pioneering research. With your help we provide world class care to our very ill children and their families.